Job 23:12 Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.

Thursday, May 24, 2012

I give myself unto prayer

Bible Reading: Psalms 108, 109, & 110

Psalms 109:1-4 Hold not thy peace, O God of my praise; 2 For the mouth of the wicked and the mouth of the deceitful are opened against me: they have spoken against me with a lying tongue. 3 They compassed me about also with words of hatred; and fought against me without a cause. 4 For my love they are my adversaries: but I give myself unto prayer.

What do you do when you have adversaries? How do you respond when people are speaking about you falsely? Sometimes people accuse you falsely and bring accusations against you - what do you do?

You give yourself unto prayer.

David had many adversaries. Not only did he face the invading nations in battle, but he was hated by his own king, Saul, and his son, Absalom, became his enemies. He had a conspiracy within his kingdom.

David's response here is very important. He did not try to argue with his adversaries and he did not try to defend himself. He gave himself to prayer.

This Psalm is Messianic in nature and prophecies the betrayal of Jesus by Judas. What did Jesus do? He gave himself to prayer. He told Peter to put away his sword. He handled the situation through praying to the Father.

Instead of gossip; instead of fretting; instead of trying to defend yourself; instead of running - give yourself unto prayer. God hears and God knows. He can take the situation and work it together for good for you (Romans 8:28).

In Christ,
Rody