Job 23:12 Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.

Monday, May 14, 2012

I acknowledge my transgressions

Bible Reading: Psalm 32; 51; 86 & 122

Psalms 51:3-4 For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me. 4 Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight: that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, and be clear when thou judgest.

What do you do when you sin? Some people try to cover it up. Some don't believe they ever sin. Some try to make it right by doing something 'good' to offset their sin. Some say that sin is an illusion that produces 'guilt feelings' that are imagined based on the society in which you were raised.

A believer does what David did. They confess their sin. David committed adultery and murder. He lied about it and tried to hide it. Finally, God sent Nathan to him to confront him with his sin. When David was honest with God, he prayed and confessed his sin to God.

Confession is not saying you are sorry. It is saying that God is right. It is being honest about your sin and calling what you have done what God calls it - sin. When we sin we hurt others, but ultimately we sin against a holy and righteous God. Confession does not try to hide, it brings our sin out into the open before God and we say, "Yes, God. I did this. Your Word says it is sin and I confess that I have sinned against you."

That is what David did. And God forgave him. For a believer, the answer to sin is to confess it and forsake it.

Proverbs 28:13 He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy.

When we confess our sins, Jesus will forgive us and cleanse us. That is the key to forsaking sin - cleansing. David asked for God to cleanse him.

Psalms 51:7 Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.

Psalms 51:10 Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.

As followers of Jesus, we have this magnificent promise:

1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Get alone with God and be honest with him. He already knows everything, but he wants us to give him our hearts. He wants our honesty about our sin and he will forgive and cleanse. The blood of Jesus is shed for this, but it is only applied when we come to him in faith.

In Christ,
Rody