Job 23:12 Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.

Friday, August 19, 2011

Let him follow me

Bible Reading: John 12

John 12:26 If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honour.

What does it mean to serve Jesus? By his words, it means to follow him. This is the invitation that a Jewish teacher would offer to his students. They would follow him and learn from him. They would work with him and help him. They would listen as he taught in any and all circumstances.

This reminds me of growing up. I went with my Dad anytime I had a chance. My Dad farmed and ranched. We drove tractors and rode horses. We welded and shoveled. We chopped weeds and baled hay. In all these circumstances, I followed him and learned. Sometimes I learned through his instruction. Sometimes I learned through his example. Always I learned from him.

Jesus invites us into a relationship where we follow him and learn from him. Are you a follower of Jesus? Are you with him? Do you read your Bible listening for his voice? Do you walk through your day talking with him in prayer?

For a follower, if you find the teacher, you find the disciple. Where are you? Are you with Jesus? He is inviting us into a walk with him. Not only that, but the Father honors those who serve Christ. Do you want to receive honor from God? Do you want to please the Father? Then follow Jesus.

Religion is not what pleases God. A relationship pleases him!

In Christ,
Rody