Job 23:12 Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The Good Shepherd

Bible Reading: John 10

John 10:11 I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.

Jesus spoke seven 'I am' statements about himself in the book of John. This is one of them as he declared that he is the good shepherd. What is a good shepherd? A good shepherd leads his flock and spends enough time with them that they know his voice.

John 10:3-4 To him the porter openeth; and the sheep hear his voice: and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out. 4 And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice.

Poor shepherds tell others where to go, but do not go themselves. Poor shepherds drive their flock somewhere the flock does not want to go. The good shepherd leads and the sheep follow. We can follow our Shepherd because we know him and he is leading us to the still waters and green pastures.

The good shepherd has pasture and abundance that he is leading his sheep to:

John 10:9-10 I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture. 10 The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

The good shepherd loves his sheep enough to give his life for them. When a hireling sees the wolf coming, he runs away, but the good shepherd gives his life so that the sheep can be saved. Jesus has willingly given his life so that you and I could be saved.

John 10:17-18 Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again. 18 No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.

No one took Jesus' life from him. He willingly gave his life for the sheep. Wow! Our Shepherd loves us so much that he gave his life for our sins. You can trust him! Listen to his voice and follow the good shepherd.

In Christ,
Rody