Job 23:12 Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Bringeth forth much fruit

Bible Reading: John 15
John 15:5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

What an incredible illustration! I am so glad that Jesus gave this to us because I can understand this. A branch must have a connection to the vine in order to have the life giving sap flow through it. The vine goes down into the ground and draws up the water and nutrients from the soil that is vital to the life of the plant. Branches do not just hang around by themselves. They will dry up and wither unless they are connected to the vine.

There are so many dried up Christians! Since they are out trying to do their own thing. They are not ABIDING in the TRUE VINE. Jesus tells us that without HIM we can do nothing. That makes sense when we see the vital connection to him is necessary to the Christian life just as a branch must be connected to the vine.

John 15:6 If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.

Branches not abiding in the vine are worthless. They have no life in them and are good for nothing except firewood. This is not saying a person who used to be saved will be lost and go to hell. Jesus is using this as an illustration to say that branches are supposed to bear fruit. If you are not abiding in the vine you will not only bear no fruit, but you will wither. It is very similar to this saying of Jesus:

Luke 14:34-35 Salt is good: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be seasoned? 35 It is neither fit for the land, nor yet for the dunghill; but men cast it out. He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.

Salt with no savor is not good for preserving and flavoring. Branches not connected to the vine are no good for bearing fruit. These things are both worthless!

A Christian who does not bear fruit does not bring glory to the Father (verse 8). But this is our purpose for existence! So the question is, "How do we abide in Christ?"

John 15:7 If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.

John 15:10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.


The Word of God must abide in you.
Prayer must be a constant conversation between you and God.
You must do what Jesus commands us to do.

That is how we abide in Christ.

In Christ,
Rody