Job 23:12 Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.

Monday, September 20, 2010

With their idols have they committed adultery

Bible Reading: 2 Samuel 16; 2 Corinthians 9; Ezekiel 23; Psalm70 & 71

Ezekiel 23:37 That they have committed adultery, and blood is in their hands, and with their idols have they committed adultery, and have also caused their sons, whom they bare unto me, to pass for them through the fire, to devour them.

Ezekiel was instructed by God to compare the idolatry of Israel and Judah to adultery. God saw the nations as women and their going after the idols of Assyria and Babylon as adulterous women who were ‘committing whoredoms’. This is the metaphor that God uses to describe his relationship with Israel. He sees her as his wife and he expects her to be faithful to him. As a husband, he is jealous.

Exodus 20:5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me.

He expects his wife to be faithful to him and to forsake all others. This is why idolatry is such a horrible sin. The bond between a husband and a wife is a sacred covenant. To break it is adultery and there is always incredible pain that comes because of that sin. God’s wife Israel cheated on him. This infidelity actually led to the divorce of Jehovah and Israel.

Jeremiah 3:8 And I saw, when for all the causes whereby backsliding Israel committed adultery I had put her away, and given her a bill of divorce; yet her treacherous sister Judah feared not, but went and played the harlot also.

As we come to the New Testament, the metaphor that is used for the church is the bride of Christ. We have not yet consummated the marriage and are betrothed to our bridegroom – Jesus.

2 Corinthians 11:2 For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.

The church is to remain a chaste virgin who is waiting for her bridegroom to return for her. He is away now building the home we will live in.

John 14:2-3 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

This is why idolatry is such a heinous sin. It is flirting with someone other than our husband – Jesus. The Bible warns:

1 John 5:21 Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen.

Are you keeping yourself pure for the coming of the Bridegroom?

In Christ,

Rody