Job 23:12 Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Lead me to the rock

Bible Reading: 2 Samuel 10; 2 Corinthians 3; Ezekiel 17; Psalms 60 & 61

Psalms 61:1-2 To the chief Musician upon Neginah, A Psalm of David. Hear my cry, O God; attend unto my prayer. From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I.

Have you ever been overwhelmed? The dictionary says that it means to be deeply affected in mind or emotion. The Hebrew word has the idea of being shrouded or covered so that darkness is the result. Have you been there? Have you ever felt as though you cannot do all that must be done? Have you ever felt that you are not adequate for the tasks that you must perform?

Maybe a mom who feels overwhelmed with the responsibility of raising children and does not think she can do it. Maybe a man who has a job that is requiring so much from him that he just can’t seem to keep up with it. There is a soldier in Afghanistan or Iraq that feels as though the burden of the whole world rests on his shoulders. A young person in school is stressed to the max with the work load of study that they must do.

David was a leader and a military man. He was a warrior who was responsible for his own family, his men and the good of the kingdom. He knew what it was to be overwhelmed. Can you hear him out in the desert leading men in a military campaign? As he stands in the shade of a high rock with sweat and blood dripping from his body he cries out to God. He is at the end of the earth. There is no friendly city for hundreds of miles and his enemies surround him. He falls to his knees and asks God for leadership. This is important – the leader is a follower!

Lead me to the rock that is higher than I! He is asking for God to lead him to the Lord Jesus Christ. He is the rock that lead Moses years earlier in the wilderness.

1 Corinthians 10:4 And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.

Prayer is the answer to an overwhelmed heart! When you are overwhelmed, cry out to God! He will lead you to Christ who is the rock.

In Christ,
Rody