Job 23:12 Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.

Saturday, July 31, 2010

I have made the earth

Bible Reading: Judges 14; Acts 18; Jeremiah 27; Mark 13

Jeremiah 27:5-7 I have made the earth, the man and the beast that are upon the ground, by my great power and by my outstretched arm, and have given it unto whom it seemed meet unto me. And now have I given all these lands into the hand of Nebuchadnezzar the king of Babylon, my servant; and the beasts of the field have I given him also to serve him. And all nations shall serve him, and his son, and his son's son, until the very time of his land come: and then many nations and great kings shall serve themselves of him.

This was the message that Jeremiah was to send to the nations surrounding Israel during the days of Nebuchadnezzar. What an amazing thought! The God who created the world can give the land to anyone he pleases. In this situation, God had determined that he was going to allow the king of Babylon to control all those lands. God made him very powerful and gave him much. However, it was only for a short time. During his life and until his grandson would be the extent of his rule over these lands. God was allowing him this power for God's own purpose.

When you look at the reign of Nebuchadnezzar you see a pagan, idolatrous man. Babylon was a sensual and wealthy place of pride and greed. Why would God allow this nation to rule the others? God was using Babylon to chasten Judah. Do you think that God would still do something like that today? Would God permit a ruler that is not a righteous man and give him much power in order to chasten his own people? Jesus says:

Revelation 3:19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.

During the days of the exile of Judah, God used a wicked nation and a pagan king for his purposes. He can do that today. What is the word of Jesus for us when we are being chastened? He says be zealous and repent. Get on fire for Jesus and change your mind about the old thinking you have. This is revival. Jesus is telling us that if we want to follow him, we need zeal and repentance. Do you think the current state of things in America today could be allowed by God in order to chasten the church? Does God want his children to get back on track? Of course he does! Jesus says to the church:

Revelation 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

He is knocking on the door of the church. Let's open the door and let Jesus in!

In Christ,

Rody