Job 23:12 Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Who will rise up for me?

Bible Reading: 1 Kings 12; Piliippians 3; Ezekiel 42; Psalm 94

Psalms 94:16-17 Who will rise up for me against the evildoers? or who will stand up for me against the workers of iniquity? Unless the LORD had been my help, my soul had almost dwelt in silence.

The Psalmist needed a deliverer. Someone was out to get him and do him harm. Have you ever been there? Do you have adversaries? It may not necessarily be those who are trying to take your life, but it may be those who are trying to prove you wrong. We all have enemies and we need to learn the lesson of the Psalms. That lesson is taught all throughout them and it is the lesson of dependence upon the Lord. Only a desperate, dependent person would cry out for help and ask for someone to stand up for them against the workers of iniquity.

Do you know the Lord as your helper in times of trouble? Do you cry out to him when you are up against the enemy? The Psalmist did and as he cried out to God he came to a very important realization. He realized that he was not strong enough to stand against the enemy on his own. The ground where he had chosen to fight began to fall away and he was about to slip.

Psalms 94:18 When I said, My foot slippeth; thy mercy, O LORD, held me up.

It was the Lord’s mercy that held him up. As he thought upon the Lord and what God had done for him he began to be comforted.

Psalms 94:19 In the multitude of my thoughts within me thy comforts delight my soul.

As he thought about God the Psalmist when from despair to delight. Don’t think about the enemies and all the troubles! Think about the Lord and all his mercies! Despair and depression come when you focus on the troubles of life. When you get so focused on the trouble, it consumes your thoughts. That is when you need to cry out to God and focus on him. Keep your eyes on Jesus! Meditate on who he is and all that he has done for you! Delight will begin to flood your soul and you will once again be praising his name.

Psalms 94:22 But the LORD is my defence; and my God is the rock of my refuge.

It is realizing that God is your rock that will bring you out of despair and into delight!

Psalms 37:4 Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.

In Christ,

Rody