Job 23:12 Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The beginning of wisdom

Bible Reading: 2 Kings 1; 2 Thessalonians 1; Daniel 5; Psalms 110 & 111

Psalms 111:10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth for ever.

Do you fear the LORD? Do you really think about that much? Do you love God enough to desire to please him with your life? The Bible word for fear has several nuances to it. It can mean the kind of fear that is pure dread. It can also mean reverence. When I think of fearing God, I think of my grandfather and my father. When I was a boy, I really respected both of these men. What they thought of me meant a lot to me. I knew there were certain expectations they had for me and I wanted to meet those expectations. I loved them and I would never have said that I was terrified of them. I had a desire to be the kind of person they wanted me to be in regards to character and moral conduct.

When we read of fearing God in the Bible, we should understand that holy reverence and respect is a necessary thing in our relationship with God. We must also go farther in that no human relationship could really compare to our relationship with God. He is holy! We should fear him! This is the beginning of wisdom. If you do not fear God, you will not have wisdom.

When you fear God and obey his commandments, your understanding will grow. That is simple. Jesus said:

John 7:17 If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself.

If we do not fear God and keep his commandments, we will forever be stunted in our understanding. This is one reason why some senior adults have been going to Sunday school their whole lives and still do not understand basic Bible doctrine. They will not obey God. Jesus tells us in the Great Commission that teaching disciples to obey what he has taught is the church’s job:

Matthew 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world.

A fear of God leads to obedience. Obedience leads to greater understanding. Greater understanding of God and his ways leads to a life of praise!

1 John 5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

Let your relationship with God grow strong as you fear him and obey Jesus!

In Christ,

Rody