Job 23:12 Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.

Monday, October 25, 2010

My counselors

Bible Reading: 2 Kings 6; 1 Timothy 3; Daniel 10; Psalm 119:1-24

Psalms 119:24 Thy testimonies also are my delight and my counsellers.

Where do you turn when you need counsel? A counselor is a person who gives advice. Who do you turn to when you need advice? Do you have a friend you talk to? Do you talk with your parents? Do you seek the advice of a ‘professional counselor’? The Psalmist said he turned to the Word of God.

The Bible should be the delight of a person’s heart. They should enjoy being in the Scriptures and hearing the Word of God. The reading of the Bible is a must for a child of God. Do you delight in the Word of God? The very first Psalm tells us:

Psalms 1:2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.

There are many things that people delight in. They enjoy sports and hobbies and other entertainments. But the Bible tells us that we must delight in God’s Word. When we read the Bible, we are hearing the very words of God who loved us and gave his only begotten Son, Jesus for us. We are encountering the truth when we open the pages of Scripture. And yet, many do not take the time to read God’s Word. When a person delights in something, they will spend time with it.

When the Word of God becomes our delight, we will understand that through the Bible, God’s Holy Spirit gives us counsel. God uses his Word to guide us and advise us as we go through life.

John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

As you abide in the Word of God, you will have the counsel that is from God, not from men. The Psalmist says:

Psalms 119:98-100 Thou through thy commandments hast made me wiser than mine enemies: for they are ever with me. I have more understanding than all my teachers: for thy testimonies are my meditation. I understand more than the ancients, because I keep thy precepts.

To have more understanding than the ancients is an amazing claim, but God’s Word can do this in your life. The next time you need counsel, dig into God’s Word before you pick up the phone. Get on your knees and ask God for the counsel you need. His advice is perfect every time!

In Christ,

Rody