Job 23:12 Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Thy hand was heavy upon me

Bible Reading: 1 Samuel 16; Romans 14; Lamentations 1; Psalm 32

Psalms 32:3-4 When I kept silence, my bones waxed old through my roaring all the day long. For day and night thy hand was heavy upon me: my moisture is turned into the drought of summer. Selah.

It is a good thing to know that our times are in God’s hands. It is also good to know that when we as his children sin, his hand is heavy upon us. David is telling us a vital truth about sin in this Psalm. He wrote this Psalm after his sin with Bathsheba. For some time, David would not acknowledge his sin. He kept silence. Have you ever done that? Have you ever sinned and thought no one would find out and you just kept it to yourself?

When a believer does that, the Bible says God places a heavy hand on them and squeezes all the moisture out of them like a drought in the summer. David said his bones waxed old and he roared all day long. Unconfessed sin will eat you from the inside out like a cancer! Finally, David did what we must all do with our sin.

Psalms 32:5 I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the LORD; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah.

He finally confessed his sin to the LORD. When he did, he received the forgiveness of sin from God. It took the confrontation with Nathan to bring David out of his silence and hiding. When he finally acknowledged his sin to God the forgiveness came immediately. Confession means to speak the same as God. When we confess, we own up to our sin and call it what it is. We are honest with God and tell him what we have done is wrong according to his Word.

Jesus will forgive our sins. He does not do this just because of his kindness. He is able to forgive because he shed his precious blood to pay for that sin.

Ephesians 1:7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace.

Confession of sin not only brings forgiveness, but it also brings cleansing.

1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

What do you need to be honest with God about? Are you hiding from him right now? Please realize that for a believer, the only answer is to confess the sin and receive his forgiveness and cleansing.

In Christ,

Rody