Job 23:12 Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Dead to the law by the body of Christ

Bible Reading: 1 Samuel 9; Romans 7; Jeremiah 46; Psalm 22

Romans 7:4 Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.

Not only are believers dead to sin (Romans 6:2), but followers of Jesus Christ are also dead to the law. Paul uses the example of a married woman who marries another man. According to the law she is an adulteress. But if a dead man were to marry someone he would not be an adulterer because death ends marriage. When a person trusts in Jesus Christ, they die to the law and they are married to the One who also died and rose again – Jesus Christ. This new union with Jesus Christ enables us to bring forth fruit unto God.

The practical reality of this truth is very important for a believer to grasp. The law has a special purpose – it shows you that you are a sinner (Romans 3:19-20). The law cannot make you good, however. This is the fallacy of someone who says God would accept them because of their good works.

Romans 7:5-6 For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death. But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.

The letter of the law kills. The law says, "Thou shalt not…" This stirs up a desire in our sinful flesh to do the very thing the law says not to do! So we try to keep God's law, but are totally unable to do it. We want to keep it but we just can't.

Romans 7:15 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.

Romans 7:22-23 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.

However, the Christian has been delivered from the law by a death that happens when we believe on Jesus Christ. We die to sin and to the law and Jesus gives us a new Holy Spirit filled life to love and serve him. If you are a believer, the law has accomplished it's purpose – it has driven you to Jesus Christ. Now you are free to serve in the newness of the spirit!

2 Corinthians 3:6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

Instead of an external law, we have the indwelling Spirit! Let him lead you!

In Christ,

Rody