Job 23:12 Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.

Monday, August 30, 2010

I as a deaf man

Bible Reading: 1 Samuel 23; 1 Corinthians 4; Ezekiel 2; Psalm 38

Psalms 38:13-14 But I, as a deaf man, heard not; and I was as a dumb man that openeth not his mouth. Thus I was as a man that heareth not, and in whose mouth are no reproofs.

David had people who spoke evil and untrue things about him. They were his enemies and they wanted him to come to ruin.

Psalms 38:12 They also that seek after my life lay snares for me: and they that seek my hurt speak mischievous things, and imagine deceits all the day long.

Have you ever had someone who spoke evil things about you? Have you ever had the rumor-mill running rampant spreading untruths about you? What should you do when that happens?

David said he was like a deaf man. He could not hear what they said. Oh, he could hear them and there are always those who will be glad to tell you what others are saying, but he chose to be AS a deaf man. He chose not to hear. You and I can do that. We can be selective in our hearing and we can choose not to listen to lies. He also chose not to retaliate with words. He said he was AS a dumb man that did not open his mouth. He would not try and defend himself. He would not answer back in reproof trying to prove them wrong.

Why would he do this? Why wouldn’t he set the record straight? Because he knew that they would not hear even if he told the truth. He would not defend himself. He would instead trust God to be his defender.

Psalms 38:15 For in thee, O LORD, do I hope: thou wilt hear, O Lord my God.

Would you do that? Would you stop trying to defend yourself and put your trust in God? He knows! He hears! When you and I try to defend ourselves the temptation is to make ourselves out to be innocent. We are NOT innocent. We may not be all that enemies are saying about us, but we are not innocent. We must leave place for God’s vengeance and never take our own vengeance.

Romans 12:19-21 Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord. Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head. Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.

Let God be your defender. Let God handle the situation. He can do it right. We are to overcome evil with good!

In Christ,

Rody