Job 23:12 Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Shepherd and Bishop of your souls

Bible Reading: 1 Peter 2

1 Peter 2:25 For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls.

The Bible often compares the people of God to sheep. When David, the sweet psalmist of Israel (2 Samuel 23:1) wrote of the Lord, he said:

Psalms 23:1 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

The relationship of a Christ-follower to Jesus is one of a sheep to his shepherd. He cares for us and keeps us safe. He is constantly with us and desires us to do well.

When Isaiah wrote of the cross and described mankind's rebellion, he likened us to sheep once again:

Isaiah 53:6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the Lord hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.

We are like straying sheep and the Lord laid on Jesus the iniquity of us all. Straying sheep were the point of Jesus' earthly ministry and he came looking for us so he could save us by taking our penalty for straying upon himself.

John 10:10-11 The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly. 11 I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.

John 10:15-16 As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep. 16 And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.

Jesus is also the Bishop of our souls. The word Bishop means 'overseer' and is a word that is used interchangeably for elder or pastor in the church. The word pastor means 'shepherd'. So, our Shepherd, Pastor, Bishop is Jesus who tends his flock.

What a wonderful thought to know that Jesus looks after me like a shepherd does his sheep. Even though I was going astray, he has now gathered me up into his flock and he is keeping me.

Praise his wonderful name!

In Christ,
Rody