Job 23:12 Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Wilt thou be made whole

Bible Reading: 2 Chronicles 17; Revelation 6; Zechariah 2; John 5

John 5:5-6 And a certain man was there, which had an infirmity thirty and eight years. When Jesus saw him lie, and knew that he had been now a long time in that case, he saith unto him, Wilt thou be made whole?

Jesus knows all about the sinful state of man. Some people don’t want to get over their hurts. That may sound incredible, but if you think for a minute you will know that it is true. Some people like to be hurt so they can get attention and sympathy. Some people like it so they don’t have to work. This man had been there for thirty eight years. Thirty eight years is a long time and once life style patterns are established, sometimes it is hard to change them. This man’s life would change drastically if Jesus made him whole. Change is hard and the longer you live one way, the harder it is to change.

I find it interesting that the man had an excuse for why he wasn’t yet up and walking.

John 5:7 The impotent man answered him, Sir, I have no man, when the water is troubled, to put me into the pool: but while I am coming, another steppeth down before me.

This man didn’t have anyone to help him into the pool. He had laid there and watched other people jump in and apparently be healed, but his crippled condition hindered him. Now I can think of a few ways a person might work out a plan to get some help into that pool. However, he was limited. What limits you? What is your particular crippled condition? What holds you back from serving God fully? If Jesus were to offer you the change you need, would you want it?

John 5:8 Jesus saith unto him, Rise, take up thy bed, and walk.

I wonder how many people were lying around that pool that day. I wonder why Jesus only healed this man. It most certainly is because it was a sign to prove who he was. I wonder how many people would have said they were content to be just as they were. What about you? Are you willing to seek Jesus and follow him? Do you want him to change your life? If you do, then cry out to him and ask. He is able!

In Christ,

Rody