Job 23:12 Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.

Friday, November 12, 2010

The LORD teacheth my hands to war

Bible Reading: 2 Kings 25; Hebrews 7; Amos 1; Psalm 144

Psalms 144:1-2 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

David was a man who had fought in many battles. He knew about warfare. Not only had he been a foot soldier but he had also been a general. He knew how to command men and he knew how to face an enemy. Please notice that it was Jehovah whom David praised for teaching his hands to war and his fingers to fight. David fought the LORD’s battles and it was God who taught him to fight.

For some unknown reason many today do not like to think of war metaphor when it comes to the Word of God. But the Bible is full of war metaphor. There are fights to be fought and a war to wage when it comes to following Jesus. Here are some of the things the Bible says regarding war.

Ephesians 6:11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

Ephesians 6:17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

1 Timothy 6:12 Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses.

2 Timothy 4:7 I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith.

Jude 1:3 Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.

If we are going to fight the battles that the enemy is waging against us, we must be taught by the LORD. Not only that but we must realize where our fortress is. He is our high tower and shield. Too many Christians are not engaged in the battle! They are hanging out in the palace wearing their pajamas wanting to be entertained. The Bible says fight! The enemy is taking ground and we are told to stand.

2 Timothy 2:3-4 Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ. No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Are you so entangled in the affairs of this life that you cannot please the One who has chosen you to be a soldier? Hear the call to arms! It is time to fight.

In Christ,

Rody