Job 23:12 Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.

Thursday, November 4, 2010

I wait for the LORD

Bible Reading: 2 Kings 17; Titus3; Hosea 10; Psalms 129 – 131

Psalms 130:5-6 I wait for the LORD, my soul doth wait, and in his word do I hope. My soul waiteth for the Lord more than they that watch for the morning: I say, more than they that watch for the morning.

I guess it is one of the hardest things to do in all of life. Most people don’t really like doing it, but according to the Word of God it is a necessary aspect of Christian discipleship. This practice that is so hard to learn is waiting for the LORD. Why should we have to wait for the LORD? The primary reason is that he has promised and we are expectantly waiting for his promises to come to pass. I remember as a child being excited because I knew that friends were coming over later in the day. I was excited because I knew that we could play together and enjoy one another’s company. Waiting was so hard because I was ready for them to be there! I would go and check the window ever few minutes to see if they had arrived yet. Have you ever had that kind of expectation?

So what do we do while we wait? We do as the Psalmist and we hope in God’s Word. We read, study, meditate, memorize and share the Word of God with others while we wait for the great and precious promises that God has made to us in his Word. Let me share one with you:

John 14:1-3 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

Don’t you want to see the face of Jesus? I can’t wait to hear that trumpet sound and be caught up to meet the Lord in the clouds. I am waiting for the coming of Jesus. I know he is coming because he promised me in his Word that he would. I also know where I am going when he does come because he promised me in his Word. Even though I do not fully understand all that the new heavens and new earth will be like I have a glimpse because he told me in his Word.

A watchman during the last watch of the night was looking for the first light of dawn. It always gets colder just as the sun is coming up and the anticipation he would have felt because he was ready for the sun to rise and warm his chilled body. The Psalmist says his waiting upon the Lord is more than that of the watchman. Keep waiting and while you wait hope in the Word. Jesus is coming again!

In Christ,

Rody