Job 23:12 Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

I might by all means save some

Bible Reading: 1 Corinthians 9

1 Corinthians 9:20-22 And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law; To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law. To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.

Have you ever heard someone say that people don’t save others, only God does? Well, that is sort of right. It is true that only God can save. However, he uses his children’s witness to the gospel of Jesus Christ to do it. Here Paul says that he adjusts his actions so as not to offend the group he is with so that he can gain or save some. Yes, he said, “that I might by all means save some.” How? Did Paul die for sinners? No, but he had the keys to the kingdom of heaven – the gospel of Jesus Christ. When we preach the message of Jesus, people can hear and be saved.

Do you have that kind of confidence about your witness? Do you believe that you have a part to play in the salvation of others? I guess some are a little intimidated by the responsibility that comes with this knowledge. For some reason, Christians don’t want to be labourers with God.

1 Corinthians 3:9 For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building.

But Jesus told us that we have a part to play.

Mark 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

The apostle took that commission very seriously.

Romans 1:14-16 I am debtor both to the Greeks, and to the Barbarians; both to the wise, and to the unwise. So, as much as in me is, I am ready to preach the gospel to you that are at Rome also. For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

Are you a debtor to others? Are you a servant to others?

1 Corinthians 9:19 For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more.

Will you serve others by telling them the good news of Jesus Christ?

In Christ,

Rody