Job 23:12 Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.

Friday, March 18, 2011

Be ye followers of me

Bible Reading: 1 Corinthians 11

1 Corinthians 11:1-2 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ. Now I praise you, brethren, that ye remember me in all things, and keep the ordinances, as I delivered them to you.

Paul was an apostle. He had special, God-given authority in the church.

1 Corinthians 12:28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

Now if this list means first in rank or first in order of appearance, it really does not matter. As an apostle, Paul had planted the church and he was writing a letter to them that was Holy Scripture. He had the authority in the name of Jesus to instruct the church as to what it was to do. It is interesting that Paul’s leadership was a ‘lead from the front’ style. He did not tell others to do that which he did not do. He said, “Follow me.”

His praise for the church came in the areas where he had instructed them in the way of Christ and they had remembered him and kept that way. Leadership in the church is needed. However, it must be Christ-like leadership. Jesus is the head of the church, so to follow a man other than Jesus is not wise, unless that man, like Paul is too following Jesus. Now we have the apostle’s doctrine (Acts 2:42). The Bible is complete. We know the doctrine that God wants us to know because he has given us his Word. Anyone who will take the Bible and get filled up with the Holy Spirit can follow Jesus.

The authority of the church today is Christ and his Word. The Bible is the rule of faith and practice for a local church. It is the Word of God. Do you follow Jesus? Do you listen to his Word and keep the ordinances as they have been delivered to you? This would include all things whatsoever Jesus has commanded us (Matthew 28:18-20). We do not need to go outside of the Bible to understand the doctrines that God wants us to know and follow. What we need is to read, believe and do what the Bible says.

If an apostle were to praise a church today it would be because they were committed to keeping the Word of God.

Revelation 3:8 I know thy works: behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it: for thou hast a little strength, and hast kept my word, and hast not denied my name.

In Christ,

Rody