Job 23:12 Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Watching daily at my gates

Bible Reading: Proverbs 7, 8 & 9

Proverbs 8:34-36 Blessed is the man that heareth me, watching daily at my gates, waiting at the posts of my doors. For whoso findeth me findeth life, and shall obtain favour of the Lord. But he that sinneth against me wrongeth his own soul: all they that hate me love death.

Blessed - that's a good word. I want to be blessed, don't you? I want to obtain the favour of the Lord. So what does the Bible say about being blessed? Here the Proverb tells us that the man is blessed that waits daily at the posts of the doors of wisdom. In the earlier chapter, wisdom is personified as a wise woman who is hospitable. She is contrasted with the harlot that entices young men while her husband is away.

Wisdom calls to all who pass by inviting them to come and get the wisdom of the Lord. The harlot calls to passers by to come and commit adultery.

So how do you watch daily at the doors of wisdom? Another passage of Scripture helps us to understand.

Psalms 1:1-2 Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the Lord; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.

To delight in the law of the Lord is watching daily at the gates of wisdom. Here is another that helps us as well:

Colossians 3:1-2 If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. 2 Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.

Do you want to find life? Do you want the Lord's favor? Then seek wisdom by prayerfully seeking God daily and meditating on his Word. Ask the Lord to show you things from his perspective and set your affection on things above.

To hate wisdom is to love death. To ignore God and his Word is to love the opposite of God. Run from that! Run to Jesus!

In Christ,
Rody