Job 23:12 Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

O that there were such an heart in them

Bible Reading: Deuteronomy 5-7

Deuteronomy 5:29 O that there were such an heart in them, that they would fear me, and keep all my commandments always, that it might be well with them, and with their children for ever!

This is what God desires from his people! He wants us to have a heart in us that we would fear the Lord and keep his commandments always. If we will do this, it will be well with us and with our children! But, there is a problem.

Jeremiah 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

The heart of man is corrupted by sin. It is not that God's law has flaws, it is that man is sinful and our hearts are easily swayed away from God and his holy Word.

In order for us to have a heart that fears God and keeps his commandments, God must give us that heart.

Ezekiel 36:26-27 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. 27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

Romans 8:3-4 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: 4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

God did it for us! He sent his Son, Jesus the Christ to live the life we cannot live. He also has given us His Spirit to live in us and with him comes a new heart! A heart that can love God. A heart that can fear God. A heart that can keep his commandments.

Now just what are those commandments that God wants us to keep?

1 John 3:23 And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.

Now that is good news! This is what God desires for you. Have a heart that fully belongs to him!

In Christ,
Rody