Job 23:12 Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.

Monday, March 26, 2012

I am as strong this day

Bible Reading: Joshua 12-15

Joshua 14:11-12 As yet I am as strong this day as I was in the day that Moses sent me: as my strength was then, even so is my strength now, for war, both to go out, and to come in. 12 Now therefore give me this mountain, whereof the Lord spake in that day; for thou heardest in that day how the Anakims were there, and that the cities were great and fenced: if so be the Lord will be with me, then I shall be able to drive them out, as the Lord said.

Caleb is a great example of a man that "wholly followed the LORD God of Israel" (Joshua 14:14). Forty five years earlier, Caleb was selected by his tribe, Judah, to be one of the twelve spies. God sent them into the land of Canaan to spy out the land and bring back a report to the rest of Israel.

When they returned, ten of the spies brought an evil report of the land. They talked of how big the walls of the cities were and how the descendants of Anak lived there.

Numbers 13:30 And Caleb stilled the people before Moses, and said, Let us go up at once, and possess it; for we are well able to overcome it.

The murmuring continued and the people decided to rebel against Moses and choose another leader and return to Egypt. At this the Bible says:

Numbers 14:6-9 And Joshua the son of Nun, and Caleb the son of Jephunneh, which were of them that searched the land, rent their clothes: 7 And they spake unto all the company of the children of Israel, saying, The land, which we passed through to search it, is an exceeding good land. 8 If the Lord delight in us, then he will bring us into this land, and give it us; a land which floweth with milk and honey. 9 Only rebel not ye against the Lord, neither fear ye the people of the land; for they are bread for us: their defence is departed from them, and the Lord is with us: fear them not.

The people wanted to stone Joshua and Caleb. They did not want to hear what they had to say. Because of their reaction, God said that entire generation would wander in the wilderness. It would be their children that entered into the land of Canaan. Only two of that generation would go in - Joshua and Caleb.

Numbers 14:24 But my servant Caleb, because he had another spirit with him, and hath followed me fully, him will I bring into the land whereinto he went; and his seed shall possess it.

Now, forty-five years later that promise is fulfilled. And not only that, but God had given Caleb the strength of his youth! At eighty five, he was not ready to retire; he was ready to fight! He would go out to war and he would come in with the spoils of victory!

Caleb trusted the Lord. He believed what God said and he gave God the glory. Let's be like Caleb! We may not receive all that the Lord has for us today, but let's trust him to take care of us and give us the strength to endure and enjoy what God has for us.

Give me this mountain!

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

In Christ,
Rody