Job 23:12 Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.

Monday, December 12, 2011

I came not to call the righteous

Bible Reading: Mark 2

Mark 2:17 When Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

The self-righteous have no need of Jesus. Only the desperate and those who know they are sinners go to the Savior. The Pharisees of Jesus' day saw themselves as righteous and they looked upon other men with contempt.

Luke 18:9-14 And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others: 10 Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican. 11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican. 12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess. 13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner. 14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

A person who sees themselves as righteous looks down on others and has no need for a Savior. This is the trap of religion and the path to hell. The Bible tells us clearly there is none righteous, no, not one. (Romans 3:10)

The physician of souls is come and he invites all who are sin-sick to come to him for forgiveness and cleansing. Will you go to the Savior? Will you trust in him alone for righteousness?

1 Corinthians 1:30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:

Jesus Christ is our righteousness. Trust him!

In Christ,
Rody