Job 23:12 Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Eloi Eloi lama sabachthani

Bible Reading: Mark 15

Mark 15:34 And at the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani? which is, being interpreted, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

After six grueling hours on the cross Jesus cried out this pitiful plea to the Father. He was near death and his mission was almost fulfilled. The people standing around did not understand what he meant. Do we?

Why did he cry out this particular saying? This was prophesied almost a thousand years before it happened.

Psalms 22:1 My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?

David prophetically described the crucifixion of Jesus Christ during his days. He began his prophetic Psalm with these heart-wrenching words that would later come from the mouth of our Savior.

Why was Jesus forsaken by the Father? Because as he hung on the cross, he took all the sins of the world upon himself and bore them.

2 Corinthians 5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

1 Peter 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.


Jesus took our sins and the Father who is too pure to look upon sin had to forsake the Son for a season. In all of eternity nothing like that had ever happened! Jesus experienced a kind of separation from the Father that brought about this cry from the cross.

He did this for you! He took your sin so you could be forgiven and free. Call upon his name today and praise him for what he has done!

In Christ,
Rody