Job 23:12 Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.

Thursday, November 3, 2011

This is the love of God

Bible Reading: 1 John 5

1 John 5:2-3 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments. 3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

How do you know if you love the children of God or not? The Bible is clear that true children of God love one another. So how do we know if we are loving them?

The Bible here tells us very plainly: when we love God and keep his commandments. The love of God is to keep his commandments. For some reason, this strikes us as legalistic. However, a true follower of Jesus will desire the things that He desires. Jesus said:

Matthew 11:28-30 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

The commandments os God are not grievous. The yoke of Jesus is easy and his burden is light. These passages are saying the same thing. To take the yoke of Jesus is to submit to him and to his leadership in your life. To obey the commandments of God is not a grievous thing because God empowers you to obey him. His commands are simple - Believe and love. When we have faith in Christ, the love of God will be in us and we can allow the Holy Spirit to bring forth fruit in our lives.

To love is to obey. To love is to fulfill the law. To love is not something we are capable of doing on our own. It is something that God does for us.

Let God's love flow through your life today!

In Christ,
Rody