Job 23:12 Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Follow me

Bible Reading: Matthew 4

Matthew 4:18-19 And Jesus, walking by the sea of Galilee, saw two brethren, Simon called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea: for they were fishers. And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.

The direction of your life changes when you follow Jesus. The priorities of the kingdom of God become the driving influence of your life. For Simon and Andrew, this meant a complete abandonment of their occupation and a ministry alongside Jesus. These men were called to follow him and become fishers of men. Their focus in life had been on making a living by catching and selling fish. This is an admirable occupation and there is nothing wrong with being a fisherman. However, Jesus changed the course of their life. They now would focus on catching men. They would preach the gospel in the power of the Holy Spirit and see men trust in Jesus Christ and be saved.

The apostle Paul said something similar about his ministry. He uses the word ‘gain’ instead of ‘catch’ but he is explaining the same thing. Not only that, but he sounds like a fisherman who has a tackle box with different lures for different kinds of fish!

1 Corinthians 9:19-23 For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more. And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law; To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law. To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. And this I do for the gospel's sake, that I might be partaker thereof with you.

When a fish is caught he loses his life. But when a man is caught with the gospel net, he gains eternal life. Has the focus of your life changed since you met Jesus? Do you follow him and have a kingdom agenda now? I pray that you will hear his call to follow him and catch men.

In Christ,

Rody