Job 23:12 Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.

Thursday, April 19, 2012

He teacheth my hands to war

Bible Reading: 1 Samuel 28-31; Psalm 18

Psalms 18:34 He teacheth my hands to war, so that a bow of steel is broken by mine arms.

I love this verse. In this Psalm, David shows how his relationship with God flowed into every aspect of his life. He did not just see God as the One he worshipped on the Sabbath. He saw God as active in all of life. His skill as an archer was due to God!

Do you see the Lord Jesus as teaching your hands to war? Maybe you don't war, but does he teach your hands to make supper? Or does he help you shoot a basketball? What about giving you the knowledge you need for your studies?

When I help my Dad brand calves, I always pray that God will teach my hands to rope well. I meditate on this verse as well as a few others. To follow Jesus is a part of all of life. The Bible says:

Colossians 3:17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

Colossians 3:23 And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men.

Our walk in Christ encompasses all of life. The Holy Spirit fills us and empowers us to study the Bible, lead someone to Christ, disciple new believers, teach a Bible study, pray for a hurting friend as well as...

Rope a calf at the branding, drive a tractor, present a business proposal, file a report, try a case, build something from scratch, teach kids math, lay brick, frame a house, drive all day long, sell insurance, wait tables, mow the lawn...

David knew that his strong arms and ability for battle came from God. Let's learn the same lesson. If you know how to do something, do it for the glory of God. If you cannot say what you do glorifies God...THEN DON'T DO IT!

Whatever you do, do it in the name of Jesus and do it with all your heart. Bring glory to God in all of life...even changing diapers and cleaning up throw up!

In Christ,
Rody