Job 23:12 Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

But God clave a hollow place

Bible Reading: Judges 13-15

Judges 15:18-19 And he was sore athirst, and called on the Lord, and said, Thou hast given this great deliverance into the hand of thy servant: and now shall I die for thirst, and fall into the hand of the uncircumcised? 19 But God clave an hollow place that was in the jaw, and there came water thereout; and when he had drunk, his spirit came again, and he revived: wherefore he called the name thereof Enhakkore, which is in Lehi unto this day.

God's calling on a man's life is a powerful thing. Samson is one of the most spoiled, rotten kids in the Bible (in my opinion). He was obstinate and talked back to his parents.

Judges 14:2-3 And he came up, and told his father and his mother, and said, I have seen a woman in Timnath of the daughters of the Philistines: now therefore get her for me to wife. 3 Then his father and his mother said unto him, Is there never a woman among the daughters of thy brethren, or among all my people, that thou goest to take a wife of the uncircumcised Philistines? And Samson said unto his father, Get her for me; for she pleaseth me well.

He disobeyed God. Not only was he not to marry a Philistine woman, but he was raised a Nazarite and was not to touch a dead body. However, he took honey from the carcass of a lion and his weapon of choice against the Philistines was the jaw bone of an ass.

And yet, God used him mightily and answered his prayers. When he was thirsty, God clave a hollow place in the rock at Ramathlehi and caused water to flow so Samson could drink.

God is amazing in his love, longsuffering and mercy toward his people. Thank God that in Christ he does not give us what we deserve, but gives us grace upon grace.

It is not that I dislike Samson. It is that I am more like him than I want to admit. I do not advise taking God's grace in vain. However, I continually stand amazed at God's gracious dealings with his children.

Thank you Jesus!

In Christ,
Rody