Job 23:12 Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Then will I remember my covenant

Bible Reading: Leviticus 26-27

Leviticus 26:40-42 If they shall confess their iniquity, and the iniquity of their fathers, with their trespass which they trespassed against me, and that also they have walked contrary unto me; 41 And that I also have walked contrary unto them, and have brought them into the land of their enemies; if then their uncircumcised hearts be humbled, and they then accept of the punishment of their iniquity: 42 Then will I remember my covenant with Jacob, and also my covenant with Isaac, and also my covenant with Abraham will I remember; and I will remember the land.

Before he gave them the land of Canaan, God told the Israelites what would happen if they disobeyed his word. He would chasten them with ever increasing chastisements until he finally sent them out of the land he gave them.

However, he told them that he would never cast them away.

Leviticus 26:44 And yet for all that, when they be in the land of their enemies, I will not cast them away, neither will I abhor them, to destroy them utterly, and to break my covenant with them: for I am the Lord their God.

God will keep his promises! He will not break his covenant. If you want to see how this happened, you can read about the exile in Babylon and the prayers of confession that Daniel prayed. God heard their prayers of humility and confession and brought the Israelites back into the land!

For the follower of Jesus, God has given us warning that when we sin, there will be consequences.

Galatians 6:7-8 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. 8 For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.

Like Israel of old, sinful choices will reap corruption and chastisement. However, remember that God instructed the Israelites that when they did sin if they would humble themselves and confess their sins, he would remember the covenant. For the follower of Jesus, God has made a new covenant with us through the shed blood of his Son, Jesus Christ. He has told us that if we sin, we must confess our sins. He has promised to hear, forgive and heal when we confess.

1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Let us be honest with God and when we have sinned, let us confess our sins and receive his forgiveness and cleansing.

In Christ,
Rody