Job 23:12 Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.

Monday, February 20, 2012

I am the Lord which hallow you

Bible Reading: Leviticus 22-23

Leviticus 22:32-33 Neither shall ye profane my holy name; but I will be hallowed among the children of Israel: I am the Lord which hallow you, 33 That brought you out of the land of Egypt, to be your God: I am the Lord.

Jesus taught us to pray, "Our Father which art in heaven, hallowed be thy name..." This means that God's name is holy. It is a word that means 'set apart' or 'different'. God is not like anyone else; no one else is like God.

God told Moses to tell Pharaoh:

Exodus 9:14 For I will at this time send all my plagues upon thine heart, and upon thy servants, and upon thy people; that thou mayest know that there is none like me in all the earth.

God instructed the children of Israel to hallow the name of God. He also said that he would hallow them. That is the interesting part. God making men holy. This is a term that is used to describe God. How can it be used to describe a man?

For Israel, the hallowing of them had to do with the distinction that the law made between them and the people who lived around them. They were different than the Egyptians. They were different than the Canaanites, Philistines, Syrians, Assyrians, Babylonians and Persians. They were distinct in the worship of God and in their manner of life.

When Jesus ascended to the Father, he sent the promised Comforter - the Holy Spirit. Jesus said:

John 14:16-17 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; 17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

He shall be in you! God, the Holy Spirit lives in the believer. How does God hallow his children? The One who is holy comes and lives in us to make us holy. He bears the fruit of the Spirit in our lives:

Galatians 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, 23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

He is our God and he is the Lord. Let the holiness of God show in your life today as you love!

In Christ,
Rody