Job 23:12 Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Great men

Bible Reading: Job 32-34

Job 32:9 Great men are not always wise: neither do the aged understand judgment.

Christians need to learn and know this lesson quickly. Just because our world says someone is 'great' does not mean they have wisdom. Our culture places wealthy, talented and intelligent people on an exalted level. However, that does not mean they are wise. Many times wealthy people have inherited their wealth and are sorely lacking in wisdom. Talented people are not necessarily wise. Case in point are so many of the terrible examples of godliness and character in Hollywood and in professional sports. Intelligence means a high amount of knowledge, but wisdom is not always a part of that.

When we look to 'great men' we need to look at their character and convictions. We need to not allow their fame to blind the truly important things that we should look for in a man or woman's life. Don't follow after 'great men' just because our culture says they are great!

Neither do the aged understand judgment. Just because a person has years of experience does not mean they have the knowledge of God. King David said:

Psalms 119:97-100 O how love I thy law! it is my meditation all the day. Thou through thy commandments hast made me wiser than mine enemies: for they are ever with me. I have more understanding than all my teachers: for thy testimonies are my meditation. I understand more than the ancients, because I keep thy precepts.

The key to wisdom is to fear God.

Job 28:28 And unto man he said, Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom; and to depart from evil is understanding.

The Word of God gives us the wisdom we need. When you meet a person do not gauge them by their age or 'greatness'. Instead look to their life and see if they live a godly life according to God's Word!

In Christ,
Rody