Job 23:12 Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

When my heart is overwhelmed

Bible Reading: Numbers 21; Psalms 60-61; Isaiah 10:5-34; James 4

From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I. (Psalms 61:2)

Have you ever been overwhelmed? Have you ever been at a place where you had something pressing in on all sides and you just did not know what to do next? Have you ever tried to just be quiet and think and you could not do it? God's Word has something for us when we get to that place! In this Psalm by David we hear the cry of a man who is overwhelmed.

If you needed to talk to a friend in our day you could probably just touch one button on a cell phone and call them. But where must you go to talk with God? David says he will cry to God from the end of the earth! It does not matter where you are, you can always talk to God. Prayer is the incredible privilege of the child of God and we can always have access to our loving Heavenly Father's presence.

We can also hear what David prayed. He wanted God's leadership to lead him to the rock that is higher than he! The stability of the rock of Jesus Christ is what David needed to comfort his heart. Do you pray for the stability of the rock of Jesus Christ when you are overwhelmed? The rock is a shelter.

For thou hast been a shelter for me, and a strong tower from the enemy. I will abide in thy tabernacle for ever: I will trust in the covert of thy wings. Selah. (Psalms 61:3-4)

When enemies come against you there is a great need to be in a strong tower for protection. That is what Jesus Christ is! Can you hear the assurance in David's prayer as he says he will abide in God's tabernacle forever? Do you have that kind of assurance of God's love and care?

For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 8:38-39)

We have a God who hears our prayers and invites us to come to him when we are overwhelmed! In this Psalm we see David start out crying out to God in distress. Let's see how the Psalm ends:

So will I sing praise unto thy name for ever, that I may daily perform my vows. (Psalms 61:8)

If you will go to God in prayer you will find that going from being overwhelmed to shouting praise will be the result! Don't wallow in distress and self-pity – cry out to God!

In Christ,

Rody