Job 23:12 Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.

Thursday, May 20, 2010

My feet were almost gone

Bible Reading: Numbers 29; Psalm 73; Isaiah 21; 2 Peter 2

But as for me, my feet were almost gone; my steps had well nigh slipped. (Psalms 73:2)

Have you ever almost slipped away from following God? Asaph gives his testimony in this Psalm of how he almost slipped from the path because he just could not understand. What was it that made Asaph almost slip?

For I was envious at the foolish, when I saw the prosperity of the wicked. (Psalms 73:3)

Asaph was a committed follower of God's Word. Yet when he observed the wicked he saw that they prospered. How could this be? The wicked were not supposed to get away with their wickedness! Here are some of the things he observed:

It seemed to Asaph that the wicked did not experience torment and pain at death. They were strong until the day they died. The wicked were not in trouble or plagued like other men. It seemed that many godly men dealt with cancer and much pain but not the wicked. The wicked were 'fat cats' who had all they could want. They lived lives of pride and oppressed the righteous. They speak wicked things against God and act as if he does not know what they do. They continually grow wealthy in the earth.

Asaph considered these things and he was broken.

Verily I have cleansed my heart in vain, and washed my hands in innocency. For all the day long have I been plagued, and chastened every morning. If I say, I will speak thus; behold, I should offend against the generation of thy children. (Psalms 73:13-15)

He felt as if following God was wasted effort and he wanted to say something about it, but he was afraid he would cause the children to stumble. Have you ever felt like Asaph? Have you ever looked around and saw how wicked people prosper in the earth? Is it wasted effort to cleanse your heart and follow God?

Until I went into the sanctuary of God; then understood I their end. (Psalms 73:17)

When Asaph went to worship God then he realized the end of the wicked. It may seem like they have it good in this life, but their end will be everlasting destruction. When he realized this Asaph realized how wrong his thinking had been.

Thus my heart was grieved, and I was pricked in my reins. So foolish was I, and ignorant: I was as a beast before thee. (Psalms 73:21-22)

For, lo, they that are far from thee shall perish: thou hast destroyed all them that go a whoring from thee. But it is good for me to draw near to God: I have put my trust in the Lord GOD, that I may declare all thy works. (Psalms 73:27-28)

Don't be envious of the wicked! Go to church and worship God. Focus on eternity and you will see that it is good to draw near to God. Worshipping God and cleansing your heart is never vanity.

In Christ,

Rody