Job 23:12 Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.

Saturday, April 3, 2010

My voice shalt thou hear in the morning

Bible Reading: Leviticus 6; Psalm 5&6; Proverbs 21; Colossians 4

Psalms 5:1-3 Give ear to my words, O LORD, consider my meditation. 2 Hearken unto the voice of my cry, my King, and my God: for unto thee will I pray. 3 My voice shalt thou hear in the morning, O LORD; in the morning will I direct my prayer unto thee, and will look up.

Colossians 4:2-4 Continue in prayer, and watch in the same with thanksgiving; 3 Withal praying also for us, that God would open unto us a door of utterance, to speak the mystery of Christ, for which I am also in bonds: 4 That I may make it manifest, as I ought to speak.

How do you start your day? Do you start it with the radio? Do you start it with the newspaper or with the morning show on television? David started his day with meditation and prayer. In the morning he said he would pray to God and look up. Starting your day with an upward look is a good way to start. You will face many obstacles and temptations throughout your day. To begin the day with a quiet time with God is an important way to be prepared for what is coming.

Colossians 3:1-2 If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. 2 Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.

To seek things above, we ought to look up! Prayer is a way of setting your affection on things above. To read the book that comes from God and direct your prayer to him first thing in the morning will put your heart on heavenly things.

The New Testament tells us to continue in prayer and watch with thanksgiving. When you start your day with prayer, what should you pray for? Prayer should include praise, checking our priorities in life, asking God for provision and things we need, reconciling personal relationships and asking God for protection. (See Matthew 6:9-13) Paul specifically asked the Colossian Christians to remember him in prayer and to pray that God would open a door for the gospel and give him the boldness to speak to unbelievers as he ought to speak.

Do you start your day with a prayer that God's kingdom come? God's kingdom comes as we proclaim the gospel and people believe and are saved. Do you pray for evangelists and pastors? Do you spend time praying for laborers?

Matthew 9:37-38 Then saith he unto his disciples, The harvest truly is plenteous, but the labourers are few; 38 Pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he will send forth labourers into his harvest.

There are currently 6.812 billion people on the planet. They all need Jesus. Will you pray for the laborers?

In Christ,

Rody