Job 23:12 Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.

Monday, April 26, 2010

Mine own vineyard have I not kept

Bible Reading: Numbers 3; Psalm 37; Song of Solomon 1; Hebrews 1

I am black, but comely, O ye daughters of Jerusalem, as the tents of Kedar, as the curtains of Solomon. Look not upon me, because I am black, because the sun hath looked upon me: my mother's children were angry with me; they made me the keeper of the vineyards; but mine own vineyard have I not kept. (Song of Solomon 1:5-6)

Many have tried to make the Song of Solomon out to be an allegory of Christ and his church. There might be some application along these lines, but first and foremost this is a Song about Solomon and the love of his life. Yes, he had many wives. And, no, that is not what God wants. But here we have the girl he loved and here we see the wife of his youth. The Shulamite girl was a farm girl. She was not a city raised blue blood. As she sits in the presence of the king and looks around at all the fair-skinned women of Jerusalem she compares herself to the tents of Kedar which are covered with black goat skins.

She has grown up working and her brothers and sisters made her work in the vineyards. The sun has made her skin very dark. She has had to work all her life and she has not had the luxury of keeper her complexion beautiful like the city ladies. However, Solomon sees something very different.

I have compared thee, O my love, to a company of horses in Pharaoh's chariots. Thy cheeks are comely with rows of jewels, thy neck with chains of gold. (Song of Solomon 1:9-10)

Ladies today might not like being compared to a horse, but Solomon is saying he sees her as feminine and elegant. The Pharaoh would have had some of the finest horses in the world pulling his chariots. Her cheeks he compares to jewels and her neck to chains of gold.

Her dark complexion does not bother the king. He finds her absolutely beautiful!

Behold, thou art fair, my love; behold, thou art fair; thou hast doves' eyes. (Song of Solomon 1:15)

When the Bible uses the word 'fair' it means beautiful. What do we learn from this chapter? This is the love of a man and a woman. Although he is the king, the rugged beauty of a country girl draws him. She is intimidated by the fact that she has not had the upbringing that she thinks is important to the king and he is helping her to understand that does not matter to him.

Men, this helps us understand that our wives need to hear of their beauty. They need not compare themselves to the Hollywood models. God has made them for us and we see our ladies as fair. Let them know it! Tell your wife how beautiful she is! Love your wife as Christ loved the church.

I Christ,

Rody