Job 23:12 Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.

Saturday, April 17, 2010

I had fainted

Bible Reading: Leviticus 21; Psalms 26-27; Ecclesiastes 4; 1 Timothy 6

Psalms 27:13 I had fainted, unless I had believed to see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living.

Psalm 27 is a wonderful declaration of David's confidence that God is his deliverer. He is able to face whatever comes his way because God is his light and his salvation. No matter how many come against him he has no need to fear because God will protect him and give him victory. In this psalm, David acknowledges what his true heart's desire is:

Psalms 27:4 One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to inquire in his temple.

David wanted God! He wanted to know him and ask him all those questions that everyone has! David was a worshipper. He loved the Lord and sang praises to God. He was also a man that faced incredible hardship and difficulty in his life. For many years he was a fugitive and stayed on the run as King Saul tried to hunt him down and kill him. In this time, David found God to be a hiding place for him.

Psalms 27:5 For in the time of trouble he shall hide me in his pavilion: in the secret of his tabernacle shall he hide me; he shall set me up upon a rock.

During these hard years, David did not become bitter. Imagine how hard it would be to know that you were the rightful king and the current king was rejected by God. Do you think you might have some questions for God about why he allows things like this to happen? Yet David continually sought a relationship with God and refused to seek vengeance upon the king of Israel.

Psalms 27:8 When thou saidst, Seek ye my face; my heart said unto thee, Thy face, LORD, will I seek.

David here acknowledges that even if everyone he loved had forsaken him, the Lord would not.

Psalms 27:10 When my father and my mother forsake me, then the LORD will take me up.

And yet it was a long time that he had to face enemies and be on the run. Have you ever felt like fainting and giving up? David held on because he believed that he would see the goodness of God. He knew that during his life he would see God do good things and he waited for that. Are you in a hard place right now? Don't faint. Keep seeking God's face and know that God will allow you to see his goodness.

Psalms 27:14 Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD.

In Christ,

Rody