Job 23:12 Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Because he is good

Bible Reading: Ezra 1-3

Ezra 3:11 And they sang together by course in praising and giving thanks unto the Lord; because he is good, for his mercy endureth for ever toward Israel. And all the people shouted with a great shout, when they praised the Lord, because the foundation of the house of the Lord was laid.

After seventy years of captivity, God raised up Cyrus the Persian to permit the Jews to return to Israel and build the temple that the Babylonians had torn down. God had promised them through the prophet Jeremiah that he would not forget them, but after their time of chastening, he would return them to their land that he had promised to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

Jeremiah 29:11-14 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end. 12 Then shall ye call upon me, and ye shall go and pray unto me, and I will hearken unto you. 13 And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart. 14 And I will be found of you, saith the Lord: and I will turn away your captivity, and I will gather you from all the nations, and from all the places whither I have driven you, saith the Lord; and I will bring you again into the place whence I caused you to be carried away captive.

God promised them that he would gather them and now he was doing just that! When they had laid the foundation of the house of God, they sang praise to the Lord. They praised him for his goodness and his mercy. God always keeps his promises.

Have you had an experience like this lately? Have you seen God's faithfulness and mercy and been overwhelmed with a sense of praise for his goodness? I hope so. As I write this morning, it is raining outside. Praise Jesus for answering prayers! Maybe he has provided for you financially. Maybe he has reconciled a relationship. Maybe he has touched your body and brought healing. Maybe had has opened someone's heart that you know to receive his Word. There are so many things that Jesus is doing in this world. Let's praise him because he is good and his mercy endures forever! His grace is amazing and his love is overwhelming!


In Christ,
Rody