Job 23:12 Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

As I Ought to Speak


Bible Reading: Ephesians 6

Ephesians 6:19-20 And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel, For which I am an ambassador in bonds: that therein I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.

Paul prayed for the churches.  As he wrote Ephesians, he was locked inside a Roman prison and spent a great deal of his time praying for the saints he knew (Ephesians 1:15-23).  Paul also asked for prayer.  It is interesting to me that Paul asked the churches to pray for him.  If Paul needed prayer, we all need prayer!  I am sure he wanted out of that prison.  And he probably asked for prayer that he might be released, but here that is not what he asked for.  He asked them to pray that he would have utterance.  In other words, he wanted prayer so that he would be able to speak.

What did he want to speak?  He wanted to boldly make known the mystery of the gospel.  People do not naturally comprehend the gospel.  It is a supernatural message about a supernatural person – Jesus.  The only way a person can understand the love of God in truth is to have the mystery of the gospel made known to them.  

Here is the amazing thing – even as a prisoner in bonds, Paul still saw himself as an ambassador for Christ.  Prison did not put Paul’s soul winning mission on hold.  He was trying to win men to Christ and it did not matter where he was.  Obviously he wanted his freedom, but even in jail, Paul was preaching.  And in prison, Paul needed prayer for boldness and effectiveness.  

Where has God got you right now?  Are you an ambassador where you are?  Are you asking for prayer for boldness and effectiveness in sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ?  There doesn’t need to be a convenient situation.  Just one person who knows Jesus encountering a person who needs to know Jesus!  This is what we ought to do!

In Christ,
Rody