Job 23:12 Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.

Sunday, June 12, 2011

A More Excellent Way


1 Corinthians 12:28-31 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues. Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles? Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret? But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.

There is a more excellent way than positions and gifts.  We must remember that it is the Holy Spirit who gives gifts.  And it is God who places offices in his church.  Here we learn that first in the church in order of authority under Christ were the apostles.  They served a necessary function until the Word of God was complete.  This is why early church disputes over doctrine were handled by the apostles (Acts 15).  These gifts of the Spirit are a part of the church and enable her to function as the Body of Christ.  

However, more important and more excellent than any gifts is the fruit of the Spirit in a believer’s life.  If we remove the chapter headings, the very next verses show us that the more excellent way is charity or love.

1 Corinthians 13:1-3 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

I can be eloquent, gifted and self-sacrificing, but if I do not have love, I am nothing and do nothing except making noise.  It is interesting that Jesus taught us that spiritual gifts are no test of true faith.

Matthew 7:22-23 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Instead, he said:  

Matthew 7:20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

Galatians 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

Do you want to have a significant ministry in the church?  Love.

1 Corinthians 13:8 Charity never faileth.

In Christ,
Rody