Job 23:12 Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.

Monday, June 27, 2011

I Went Into Arabia

Bible Reading: Galatians 1

Galatians 1:15-18 But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb, and called me by his grace, To reveal his Son in me, that I might preach him among the heathen; immediately I conferred not with flesh and blood: Neither went I up to Jerusalem to them which were apostles before me; but I went into Arabia, and returned again unto Damascus. Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to see Peter, and abode with him fifteen days.

The gospel is the most important message that mankind has ever heard or ever will hear.  It is important to get a message like this accurate.  Here in Galatians, Paul recounts his testimony and he lets us in on something that we do not learn by reading Acts.  He says that after his conversion on the Damascus road and his short Damascus preaching campaign, he went into Arabia for three years.  He is telling the Galatians this to show that he did not receive the gospel from men.  He received it directly from Jesus Christ himself.  He preached some in Damascus but then he went into a three year time of intense study and prayer. Paul knew the Old Testament well.  Now he knew Jesus and when he went back through the Old Testament, he saw Jesus on every page!

Why did he go to Arabia?  Paul was actually from Tarsus in Cilicia.  I believe he went to Arabia because that is where the law is from and the mighty prophet went.

Galatians 4:25 For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia…

Mount Sinai is where Moses met with Jehovah and received the Ten Commandments and the instructions for the earthly tabernacle.  Mount Sinai is where Elijah ran to when he was wanted by Jezebel.  There he heard the still small voice of God (1 Kings 19:12).  In preparation to preach the gospel and to be used of God to write Scripture, Paul went to the cave where Elijah heard the voice of God.  He needed to be taught of God.  After he had his time of study and learning, then he went to Jerusalem and spent some time with Peter.  During that time it became evident that the gospel Paul preached was the same that Peter preached.  

Preparation is important.  Getting the gospel right is important.  The way to do this is through prayerful, intense study of God’s Word led by the Teacher, the Holy Spirit.  You don’t have to go to Mount Sinai but you do need to get alone with Jesus and hear his voice.

In Christ,
Rody