Job 23:12 Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

I will behave myself in a perfect way

Bible Reading: Deuteronomy 13-14; Psalms 99 – 101; Isaiah 41; Revelation 11

I will behave myself wisely in a perfect way. O when wilt thou come unto me? I will walk within my house with a perfect heart. (Psalms 101:2)

This is a Psalm of dedication from David. He is dedicating himself to God and committing to walking in a perfect way. When the Bible speaks of being 'perfect' it does not be sinless, it means entire, complete or whole. This is the declaration of God to Abraham:

And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the LORD appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect. (Genesis 17:1)

Notice the place where David says it is important for him to walk with a perfect heart – within his own house. If the Christian life does not work at home, it does not work! If you 'act' right in front of others, but 'let down your guard' at home, you are not walking with Jesus. David knew that God sees all things and he did not just want to put on an outward show. He wanted his walk with God to be genuine so that he walked with integrity in his home. He says he will be careful what he looks upon:

I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me. (Psalms 101:3)

David did not even want to look upon something wicked. If we are going to walk with integrity in our homes, we need to be careful what sort of programming we set before our eyes on the television. No one knows what you do in your own home, right? Wrong, God knows and he wants you to be perfect. Your family also knows what you are like at home and spouses and children can be damaged greatly by hypocrisy.

There are those who 'turn aside' from following God. David said he hated that work and would not let it 'cleave' to him. Wickedness has a way of being like tar. If you get near it you can get it all over you and it is hard to get off once you get it on you! Beware of the friends you have. They can drag you down.

Is your walk with Christ genuine? Do you walk with Christ when no one is watching? Is your walk with Christ a relationship or is it a series of things you do? For some they try to replace a relationship with Christian activity. That's not what Jesus wants. He wants you to know him and love him. He wants all of you to be his. Surrender to him today!

In Christ,

Rody