Job 23:12 Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.

Friday, June 18, 2010

I was not rebellious

Bible Reading: Deuteronomy23; Psalm 112 & 113; Isaiah 50; Revelation 20

The Lord GOD hath given me the tongue of the learned, that I should know how to speak a word in season to him that is weary: he wakeneth morning by morning, he wakeneth mine ear to hear as the learned. The Lord GOD hath opened mine ear, and I was not rebellious, neither turned away back. (Isaiah 50:4-5)

Here in the prophecy of Isaiah is a word concerning the Lord Jesus Christ. As the prophet is giving us the word of God he changes voice at this point and we hear the perspective of Jesus in his earthly ministry. He says that the Lord God has given him the tongue of the learned. Do you remember the reaction when people heard Jesus teach?

And it came to pass, when Jesus had ended these sayings, the people were astonished at his doctrine: For he taught them as one having authority, and not as the scribes. (Matthew 7:28-29)

The officers answered, Never man spake like this man. (John 7:46)

Jesus knew how to speak a word in season to him that is weary. The word he spoke was one of invitation:

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. (Matthew 11:28)

The Father would wake the son each morning and give him the ability to hear wisdom. Jesus was not rebellious when he heard the wisdom of God and he did not turn back from it. He obeyed completely.

Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth: Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously: Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed. (1 Peter 2:22-24)

Jesus did not turn away back from what the Father had sent him to do. He willingly suffered for our sins.

I gave my back to the smiters, and my cheeks to them that plucked off the hair: I hid not my face from shame and spitting. (Isaiah 50:6)

Isaiah told us 700 years early what it would be like! Smiting with a scourge; pulling out the hair of his beard and the shame of people spitting on him. How did the King of Glory endure such treatment?

For the Lord GOD will help me; therefore shall I not be confounded: therefore have I set my face like a flint, and I know that I shall not be ashamed. (Isaiah 50:7)

Jesus knew that the Father would help him and so he was not confounded. He set his face like flint knowing that he would not be ashamed, but would be raised from the dead! Because Jesus was not rebellious, you can have eternal life! Praise him!

In Christ,

Rody