Job 23:12 Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Receive the kingdom of God as a little child

Bible Reading: Matthew 19 & Mark 10

Mark 10:15 Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child, he shall not enter therein.

The people had brought little children to Jesus. They wanted him to touch them and bless them. The disciples saw their job like the bouncers trying to keep people from crowding a rock star so they rebuked these parents for what they were doing.

Mark 10:14 But when Jesus saw it, he was much displeased, and said unto them, Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God.

Jesus was always looking for a way to teach about the Kingdom of God. Here he helped the disciples, the parents and us to understand a little more about faith. You receive the kingdom as a little child. What does that mean?

First, you enter by a birth. A little child enters this world by being born and you enter the kingdom by being born again.

John 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

John 1:12-13 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: 13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

You enter the Kingdom of God by being born again through faith in Jesus Christ. The second thing about a child is their dependency upon parents for everything. We are dependent upon our loving Heavenly Father.

John 15:5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

Another aspect of being like a little child is child-like faith. Little children believe the things their parents tell them to be true. We enter the Kingdom of God by faith. We believe what Jesus says and know he is the truth.

1 John 5:1 Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.

Those who a little child knows and trusts he/she loves. And we like a child are to love Jesus with all that is in us.

Mark 12:30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.

Just yesterday, my two year old daughter said to me, "Daddy, I love you." She's two. She is not playing a manipulation game. She loves me. She told me so.

Be like a little child. Love and trust Jesus. He loves you!

In Christ,
Rody