Job 23:12 Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.

Friday, January 29, 2010

The Ministers Heart

Bible Reading: Genesis 30; Esther 6; Mark 1; Romans 1

Romans 1:8-12 First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world. 9 For God is my witness, whom I serve with my spirit in the gospel of his Son, that without ceasing I make mention of you always in my prayers; 10 Making request, if by any means now at length I might have a prosperous journey by the will of God to come unto you. 11 For I long to see you, that I may impart unto you some spiritual gift, to the end ye may be established; 12 That is, that I may be comforted together with you by the mutual faith both of you and me.

Here is a picture into the heart of a true minister of the gospel of Jesus Christ. Paul was called by God to be an apostle and as he writes this letter to the Roman Christians, he reveals much godly motivation.

  1. A true minister of Jesus Christ is thankful for the flock. He is thankful for their salvation and their ministry. Paul said the faith of the Roman Christians was spoken of throughout the whole world! An evangelist like Paul is always grateful for an evangelistic church!
  2. A true minister prays for the church. Paul calls God as his witness that he continually (without ceasing) prayed for the Roman Christians. There are so many needs within the body of Christ and Paul knew that only Christ himself could meet those needs!
  3. A true minister of Jesus Christ longs to be with the people of God. Even though Paul had never met with the church at Rome, he greatly desired to see them and had tried previously to come to them. Now he was praying for a prosperous journey to come to them.
  4. A true minister knows that he is gifted to help the body of Christ. Paul wanted to impart to them a spiritual gift. He wanted to preach to them so that God would use the gift he had given Paul to establish the church at Rome.

Romans 1:15 So, as much as in me is, I am ready to preach the gospel to you that are at Rome also.

  1. The true minister wants the church to be established. He desires for spiritual maturity to come and for the solid foundation to be sure upon the rock of Jesus Christ.
  2. The true minister knows that mutual comfort comes from the preacher to the church and from the church to the preacher. Their mutual faith would greatly encourage them and Paul!

Isn't it a beautiful thing when a man truly loves Jesus and loves the church? Let's pray that God send out laborers with this heart!

In Christ,

Rody